The single most powerful way to win trust isn’t more information or a better pitch. It’s to agree with your prospect.
In Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life, Grant Cardone says there is no faster way to close a deal and win trust than to put yourself in alignment with that customer’s perspective and see it his way. This is the key to empathy, which makes it the key to sales—and critical to building trust between you and your prospect.
While the customer may not always be right, says Cardone, your job is to agree with him regardless. Because the worst thing you can do is attempt to be right instead.
Marriage therapists have told many a frustrated spouse, “Do you want to be right, or do you want to be in a relationship?” That applies here. Because you win trust the same way. To close the sale, you must be able to have your customer sign off on, what else—an agreement. And that starts with you.
“Most people think that it takes two to have an agreement,” writes Cardone. “But the truth is, it only takes one.” You can think what he’s saying is unreasonable or ridiculous—but until you can validate his viewpoint, you will not have agreement or trust, and you will not have a sale.
Win trust with the Agreement Challenge
To win trust, you’ve got to practice the skill of agreement. Here’s how:
- Try to agree with everyone you talk to for a single day—be it your partner or spouse, colleague, or boss.
- Practice handling different scenarios by agreeing first (role play them with someone you trust or even record yourself trying it).
- When you catch yourself disagreeing (as you will, without question), pause, start over and try coming from a place of agreement.
- Try agreeing with your child first, even if you don’t share her opinion. See what happens when you come at a conflict from a different place.
FREE WHITE PAPER: Top 100 Sales Influencers
Gain access to the world's best sales influencers that are available today
Latest posts by Dan Sincavage (see all)
- Fortune100 Software Company Selects Tenfold to Improve Customer Experience and Increase Productivity Globally for 10,000 Agents - September 20, 2020
- Nextiva and Tenfold Partner to Bring Unified Communications to CRM - June 29, 2020
- Is your sales team engaged, accountable and productive as work shifts remote? How Tenfold & Salesforce High Velocity Sales can make sure you don’t miss a beat - April 8, 2020