Email tracking Gmail Tools: Must-have for sales pros
The biggest business transactions in the world happen in people’s inboxes.
Phone calls are intimate and personal–but emails always mean business. Think back on your team’s biggest sales? Were they all purely transacted over the phone? Or were they a mix of phone calls, emails, and even face-to-face meetings?
In the world of sales, emails are the bridges between sales stages, and phone calls usually make the close.
Because of this, optimizing emails has become a significant concern for sales departments. How do we use our email clients efficiently? Is there a way to streamline or even automate emailing to get the most out of these messages?
Gmail and Google Apps for Work
With 900 million users, Gmail is probably the most popular of all email clients.
For businesses and work teams, Google mail provides a solution under Google Apps for Work where your team still holds addresses from your domain–for example email@example.com–but all the capabilities are the same as with Google’s free Gmail client.
For sales professionals, the downside of reaching out and corresponding through email is that you won’t get a real-time response–therefore, the level of interest and other factors are hard to gauge and monitor. The psychological cues you bank on when calling through phones–using tone, closing questions, and other devices–are not as usable through written correspondence.
Corresponding with prospects through email is an entirely different battlefield that requires entirely different skills to master. Good thing that being on Gmail, there are some functionalities available that can support better measurement. The beauty of signing on to a hugely popular email client is that it comes with a bevy of apps and integrations that answer most of your emailing needs.
One of which is email tracking.
What is email tracking?
The essential function of any email tracking app or integration is notifying the sender when the email has been opened or clicked. That simple. It ends the days where you just send the email and pray to high heavens that it does its job.
Email tracking apps work by placing a small, invisible image pixel inside each email you send with the help of the app. No, the app doesn’t have access to the content you send–not even the rest of your inbox or that of the person you send to. The only function of the email is to monitor whether the email has been clicked or opened, and what device the recipient is accessing your email from.
Why is email tracking necessary for sales?
As with any metric monitoring and analysis that you do as a sales pro, email tracking is important to know what works and what doesn’t.
There are a lot of things that come into consideration when employing email as a means to communicate with prospects.
Here are some:
- Time you send the email
- Subject line
- First few lines
- General email content (content flow and outline)
- Person you send the email to
Aside from these, there are a lot of moving parts in each email. Tracking each one you send gives you guidance on how to write better emails and improve your emailing practices moving forward.
It also tells you a lot about your prospects–the devices from which they access emails (important in knowing what content to include in the message body) to which subject lines they respond best to. This information is vital in determining your next step, whether it is to send a follow-up email or to head on to your dialer to call the prospect.
With these benefits in mind, let’s take a look at the three best email tracking integrations available in the market right now.
Top email tracking apps and integrations
Sidekick is HubSpot’s email tracking app that works with Gmail and Google Apps for Work.
How it works:
On your Sidekick dashboard, you’ll see all the items you get notified for. At first, the app will prompt you to test the service by sending a mock email with the Sidekick Tracker enabled, and then the app will notify you when Sidekick opens your message. The app provides a click box where you can enable or disable Sidekick tracking for each email you send out.
Sidekick also provides you with detailed info about people who send emails to you: social network pages, their listed company and position, their online activity including tweets. Of course, all Sidekick related information will also be included in the email.
As a HubSpot product, Sidekick can be integrated with their CRM and also with Salesforce.
- Contact details including social profiles and in-app stats
- Tracking: when emails are opened and which in-message links are accessed
- Scheduled emails with Timezone sync and support
- Email templates for follow-ups and other standard messages
- Free user: 5 email templates, 200 email tracking notifications
- Power User: $10/user/month, unlimited tracking notifications
- Sidekick for Business plan: $50/user/month, 1,000 email templates, 1,000 documents, unlimited notifications
MailTrack is a simple-to-use Gmail tracking app that uses “double checks” or the ✓✓ to notify you about the status of your emails. One check means the email was sent, two checks mean your email has been opened.
How it works:
Just install the app from MailTrack.io while your Gmail client is open. The app will restart your Gmail account, and the two checks will appear with your emails from there on out. All emails will be monitored from the moment you activate MailTrack.
- Double checks ✓✓ for easy monitoring
- Real-time desktop notifications
- Know who exactly opened the message even in multiple recipient emails
- Personal: Free, tracking, notifications, multiple recipient (must be MailTrack users too) tracking, mobile
- For Work: $48/user/year, tracking, notifications, multiple recipient (must be MailTrack users too) tracking, mobile, no signature, link tracking, daily report, CRM Integration, optional tracking
Cirrus Insight is an email tracker that also doubles as a salesforce inbox integration that makes it easier for sales pros to send emails to prospects.
How it works:
Cirrus Insight is more than an email tracking app, but for the purposes of this post, here’s a video showing how Cirrus Insight works as a one-click email tracker.
- Recipient tracker
- Know where emails are opened (Geotrack)
- Know when emails are opened
- Know on what device your recipient opens the message
- $19/user/month, billed annually
- $28/user/month, billed monthly
Start tracking your emails for better sales
Email tracking makes you a better sales pro by giving you the data you need to improve your email process. Won’t you use something that is sure to improve how you target your prospects? Whether adopting as a single user or rolling out the software to your whole sales machinery, using email tracking can only help you make use of the information you have better–whether they’re leads, market research or team performance metrics.
Remember: Without data, you have no concrete basis for the changes and improvements you plan to implement.
Email tracking for Gmail helps you optimize not only your email activities but your whole sales process.
How does email tracking help your organization? Let us know in the comments.
FREE WHITE PAPER: Top 100 Sales Influencers
Gain access to the world's best sales influencers that are available today
Latest posts by Dan Sincavage (see all)
- Fortune100 Software Company Selects Tenfold to Improve Customer Experience and Increase Productivity Globally for 10,000 Agents - September 20, 2020
- Nextiva and Tenfold Partner to Bring Unified Communications to CRM - June 29, 2020
- Is your sales team engaged, accountable and productive as work shifts remote? How Tenfold & Salesforce High Velocity Sales can make sure you don’t miss a beat - April 8, 2020